WASHINGTON, May 10, 2023 – Mitten Gourmet, LLC, a Freeland, Michigan establishment, is recalling approximately 1,137 pounds of ready-to-eat pork rind products that were produced without the benefit of federal inspection, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.
The pork rind products of various flavors were produced on various dates from September 9, 2021, through May 5, 2023. The following products are subject to recall [view labels]:
- 2.0-oz. clear bags containing Mitten Gourmet “PARMESAN GARLIC Pork Rinds”
- 2.0-oz. clear bags containing Mitten Gourmet “PIZZA Pork Rinds”
- 2.0-oz. clear bags containing Mitten Gourmet “BUFFALO Pork Rinds”
- 2.0-oz. clear bags containing Mitten Gourmet “NACHO CHEESE Pork Rinds”
- 2.0-oz. clear bags containing Mitten Gourmet “JALAPENO Pork Rinds”
- 2.0-oz. clear bags containing Mitten Gourmet “HONEY MUSTARD Pork Rinds”
- 2.0-oz. clear bags containing Mitten Gourmet “DILL PICKLE Pork Rinds”
- 2.0-oz. clear bags containing Mitten Gourmet “BARBECUE Pork Rinds”
- 2.0-oz. clear bags containing Mitten Gourmet “SALT N PEPPER Pork Rinds”
The products subject to recall do not bear the USDA mark of inspection because Mitten Gourmet, LLC, is not a federally inspected establishment. These items were shipped to retail locations nationwide.
The problem was discovered during routine FSIS surveillance activities when the ready-to-eat pork rind products were observed for sale without the USDA mark of inspection. FSIS determined that the producer is not an FSIS-inspected facility.
There have been no confirmed reports of adverse reactions due to consumption of these products. Anyone concerned about a reaction should contact a healthcare provider.
FSIS is concerned that some product may be in consumers’ pantries. Consumers who have purchased these products are urged not to consume them. These products should be thrown away or returned to the place of purchase.
FSIS routinely conducts recall effectiveness checks to verify recalling firms notify their customers of the recall and that steps are taken to make certain that the product is no longer available to consumers. When available, the retail distribution list(s) will be posted on the FSIS website at www.fsis.usda.gov/recalls.
Consumers and members of the media with questions about the recall can contact Miquel Varney, CEO of Mitten Gourmet, LLC, at 989-402-5372 or Support@Mittengourmet.com.
Consumers with food safety questions can call the toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline at 888-MPHotline (888-674-6854) or live chat via Ask USDA from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Eastern Time) Monday through Friday. Consumers can also browse food safety messages at Ask USDA or send a question via email to MPHotline@usda.gov. For consumers that need to report a problem with a meat, poultry, or egg product, the online Electronic Consumer Complaint Monitoring System can be accessed 24 hours a day at https://foodcomplaint.fsis.usda.gov/eCCF/.
To see product images and product labels, visit the following link: HERE
Heat Treated – Shelf Stable